Sunday, May 22, 2016

All That We Have by Gary Ault


All That We Have
Gary Ault





Chorus:
All that we have and all that we offer
Comes from a heart both frightened and free.
Take what we bring now and give what we need.
All done in his name.

Some would rely on their power, 
Others put trust in their gold.
Some have only their Savior,
Whose faithfulness never grows old. Chorus

Sometimes the road may be lonesome, 
Often we may lose our way;
Take courage and always remember
Love isn't just for a day.  Chorus

Sometimes when troubles are many,
Life can seem empty, it's true,
But look at the life of the Master,
Who lovingly suffered for you.  Chorus

4 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for acknowledging the Author, I am not the author but it means so much to me when people are ethical and kind, it is like giving thanks, and so I thank you heartily, best wishes from nadine xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for sharing. May God bless you always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't heard anyone do this song live for a long time, but I still love to play! And when I do, I like to use some chord substitutions in the Verses to better express the Emotions, Meaning and Theology of the song. If you're doing the song in D, for instance, the chords would be:
    | G | F#m | Em (F#7) | Bm |
    I Em F#7 | G |
    I em7 F#m7 I G⁶ A |
    This puts the "happy & positive" major chords —not on the unreliable and ultimately unfulfilling words of "gold" and " power" — but rather on "Savior"(!)
    .. which is, or should be, the message of the song.
    This emotional arc -- from sadness/dispair to comfort/fulfillment -- is the same emotional arc for the other two verses as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. (P.S. my comment above was in reference to chord charts that I had seen in the past. Upon listening now to the beautiful rendition by Miss April Amisola, I realize that other accompanists also put minor chords at the end of the 1'st and 2'nd lines of the verse. ...And the minor chord at the end of the third line (under the word "Savior") is certainly still a very beautiful, plaintive, and viable option...! )

    ReplyDelete